- San Francisco, CA, US
- Remote work
- Remote Work Not Allowed
- Job posting date
- Company description
If change means solving one of the biggest challenges of our time by reinventing the way millions of people power their homes with affordable clean energy, then we say bring it on.
At Sunrun, we believe that running everything isn't just smart, it's brilliant. We’re doing the single most important thing we can–reinventing how homeowners get energy. It doesn’t hurt that we’re helping the planet, kick starting the economy and having fun while doing it.
In 2007, Sunrun co-Founders Ed Fenster and Lynn Jurich set out to solve an important problem–the future of energy–by making home solar mainstream. Upfront cost was a huge barrier to home solar adoption, so they invented a way to remove it. In this pioneering model known as solar service, Sunrun allows homeowners to pay for the power, not the panels. This means Sunrun owns, maintains and monitors the system while homeowners pay for the electricity it produces at a low, locked-in rate–saving them money over time. Simply put, Sunrun makes solar easy and affordable.
With high-quality solar service in 12 U.S. states, we’re the nation’s largest dedicated residential solar provider. Each business day we put $2 million worth of solar onto people’s roofs and facilitate one solar installation every 10 minutes. Our network of over 30 leading solar installers employs more than 3,000 people
- Job Description
Principal Software Engineer
Who We Are
Sunrun is on a mission to make solar energy affordable for more people. We help people upgrade their home to solar energy without the big upfront costs. Sunrun is the 2nd largest residential solar company in the country and has a mission to bring clean, solar power service to the masses.
About Sunrun Engineering
We're hiring world-class software engineering talent to help our infrastructure keep up with growth rates. We are literally working to change the world and revolutionizing the way people use renewable energy.
Want to work on massively scalable consumer systems? Re-invent how consumers buy energy? Have a measurable impact on one of humanity’s biggest challenges? Come to Sunrun. You'll work alongside passionate engineers engaged in the design and development of a product that is changing the world.
We're looking for a seasoned Java Development Engineer to help our team build massively scalable consumer systems for clean energy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establish the standards for the team in areas of technical excellence.
• Work collaboratively with Product Management to develop applications that can be tested easily and will perform well under a variety of network conditions (e.g. cellular/mobile users).
• Champion adherence to best practice development methodologies.
• Ensure creation of automated testing as appropriate for a Continuous Delivery (CD) environment
• Mentor and build skills across the team through effective standards setting, code reviews and pairing.
- Required skills
REQUIREMENTS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, AND OTHER SKILLS)
• 5+ years professional Java programming, preferring JVM backend development such as Java 8, Groovy or Scala; Spring Boot or other DI framework, JAX-RS, JPA/Hibernate
• Linux/UNIX command line proficiency
• Advocate of Dev-Ops culture: responsibility for app in production as well as development
• Ability to work by objectives and to self-manage.
• Excellent communication skills. Good team player. Feeling of shared ownership of code and other deliverables
• Familiarity with Agile/Scrum development methodologies.
• Degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
• Experience designing highly available, distributed systems
• Familiarity with AWS or other cloud infrastructure experience
• Familiarity with containerization (e.g. Docker)
• Proficiency with Git/Github
This description indicates the general nature and level of the qualifications and duties required of employees in this job classification, as well as the essential functions a person must be able to perform to do this job. It is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Sunrun Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and make employment decisions on the basis of merit and business need. We hire without consideration to race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law.
Base Salary plus Bonus
Medical, Dental Vision